WHAT YOU MAY FIND HERE

RANTS, RAVINGS and RUMINATIONS along with
RAUCOUS RIBALDRY and RAMBLING REFLECTIONS

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Today (yeah, it's Thanksgiving) ....... div

Though this year's "get ready to shop" holiday falls on the 22nd, how many of us remember where we were on this date in 1963 ??
It's one of those days in one's lifetime that (like 9/11 - to a younger generation) is as vividly remembered as if it were yesterday.
It was a clear, warm Friday, just after noon (my easy day) and I had just finished an engineering class at university. Walking to the parking lot to retrieve my (even then) ancient Volvo, a classmate from high school called out to me and asked if I'd heard the news. Naturally, I hadn't, and looked at him as if he were insane.
I can, even now, close my eyes and visualize every nuance of the day: the news reports, the speculation and the remainder of the weekend. Our holiday meal the following week was subdued and we hadn't yet, as a society, deteriorated into the rampant consumerism that burdens us today.
So, while the turkey is still warm and the pie uncut, take a moment and reflect (if you can) on another moment of our lost innocence.

Happy Thanksgiving

No comments:

Post a Comment