WHAT YOU MAY FIND HERE

RANTS, RAVINGS and RUMINATIONS along with
RAUCOUS RIBALDRY and RAMBLING REFLECTIONS

Thursday, May 30, 2024

Memorial Day Div (Thank You for your service subsection)

 As I said on Monday, today will always be Memorial Day for me. One day each year where we stop and honor our nation's fallen servicemen and women. Unfortunately, it's become an afterthought to the sales and hype as "The start of Summer."

It's different than "Veterans Day" (11 November)  --  Where we honor all those who have honorably served (both living and passed) as well as those currently serving.

I so often hear people say "Thank You for your service" to me when my background is mentioned. I've always politely thanked them and replied that it was my honor and privilege to proudly wear my country's uniform and be of service.

I still provide that answer, but now respectfully and politely add a question: Do you think that I was a sucker or loser for serving? Do you think that those who gave that "last full measure" were suckers or losers?

Most people are a bit taken aback and reply in the negative.  I again thank them and I remind them that there's a person running for President who has voiced those exact words and feelings. I tell them that if their thanks are sincere, they must remember it when casting their vote in November.

I hope your holiday weekend was safe and enjoyable. Take today to give your real thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment