Back in the early days of aviation, small towns used to paint the place names on water towers and the tops of buildings to let those intrepid airmen know where they were.
Some places were more creative, like this just north of Mesa, AZ dating from around 1950, a time when Phoenix was just slightly more than a wide spot in the road
Now the metropolis that is "greater Phoenix"(ugh!) has almost spread up to this landmark.
More than one young pilot trainee at Williams AFB will never admit to having used this as a reference!