WHAT YOU MAY FIND HERE

RANTS, RAVINGS and RUMINATIONS along with
RAUCOUS RIBALDRY and RAMBLING REFLECTIONS

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Patriotism div (mandatory participation subsection)

                                             
More years ago than I care to remember, when I attended elementary school, we assembled outside at 8am every morning to raise the flag and recite the Pledge of Allegiance. I still remember having to re-learn it, and recall several "stumbles," when the words "under God" were added in 1954 (since school had ended for the year at the start of June, we didn't begin including the phrase until September).

Each year (in the spring as I recall) in addition to the Pledge, the eighth graders would also recite the Preamble to the Constitution (we had to learn it as part of our "Civics" program). I and another student were appointed (because we were Boy Scouts) to additionally leave class 15 minutes early every day to strike the colors, fold them and place them in the custodian's office for storage.

I took and administered oaths many times during my tenure in the Armed Forces, and never got over the feelings of pride and accomplishment for myself or the person I was addressing during this voluntary act.  Arizona's proposed new "Loyalty Oath" for high school graduation smacks to me of other, less savory, places and times when and where such oaths were required. Though the words are similar, the circumstances aren't ................ and I guess that's what rankles.

Added thought: All the oaths I took or administered occurred PRIOR to the commencement or assumption of an activity or office or obligation. The thought of requiring an oath to receive something that one has earned is also objectionable.

No comments:

Post a Comment