WHAT YOU MAY FIND HERE

RANTS, RAVINGS and RUMINATIONS along with
RAUCOUS RIBALDRY and RAMBLING REFLECTIONS

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Radio Disfunction / Malfunction .... div

Driving4$$ is always interesting. I really love my "little job." It keeps my mind active, gets me out of the house three or four days a week  - thus keeping the Goose Girl sane - - and brings in a little extra money. I never know what time I'll start, when I'll finish, where I'll go or who I'll meet.
I also never know what truck I'll drive  - - - and some are definitely better than others.

Today's vehicle (not of choice) was a 2008 edition with 514K+  miles (we have a couple from 2006 with over 700K) and a radio that was stuck on an AM talk radio station (more later). No access to traffic, weather, news or sports scores (which pax like to know). That info directly impacts route selection or alteration, and the ability to engage the pax in conversation (and maybe increase the "tip" potential).

I remember the days when a radio in a car was a luxury and fixing it required its removal from the dash and the replacement of various vacuum tubes.

The other biggest problem (or annoyance) with today's malfunction was that the first thing I heard when cranking up the truck was Rush Limbaugh. Like I tell new drivers, "I can guarantee, your favorite radio station will not be the passenger's."

I don't like Rush (I don't listen to talk radio or watch the "talking head" programs). He's entitled to his opinion, but he's an entertainer not an informed or educated commentator. He was beating up Jim Lehrer (the moderator of last nite's debate) accusing him of trying to "bail out the President" (I'm sure Rush didn't capitalize that word) and intentionally mispronouncing (and ridiculing) Mr Lehrer's name. This is something he's done to the names of those he disagrees with on every unfortunate occasion I've had to hear his performances. I guess he feels that by ridiculing their name, it decreases the validity of anything they might have said. It's a wonderful tactic and has been used for years.

First, Jim Lerher is a former Marine Officer and the integrity of a Marine (past or present) is their "prime directive." To question this is an offense that requires immediate and brutal slapping down. I worked for and with Marines while on the Joint Staff (and my Dad was a Marine - so I learned early about keeping my "honor clean'), integrity was not negotiable. Mr Rush had no reason to call him out on this (and I hope Jim slaps the shit out of him should they ever meet). Quite frankly, the draft dodging, drug addict doesn't deserve to be breathing the same air as Jim Lehrer.
Second, to ridicule or denigrate anyone's name is beyond the pale. One of the few things that most people have control over is their name. You don't get to choose - if you can afford it, you can have it changed - what name gets put on the birth certificate and follows you around for the rest of your life.
Sure, you may be tagged with a nickname or two, but most nicknames are based on affection, initiation, respect and acceptance (like the assignment of a callsign) into a group. Occasionally, individuals are referred to by an epithet (like "asshole" or "dickwad") which aren't exactly complimentary or affectionate  - -  these folks usually aren't part of the "tribe."

So, I guess I'll disregard what I've written and continue to refer to Rush by any unflattering nicknames I might bestow  - - - as I will Mitt and 'lil Buddy and the rest of these jerks.

Jesus H. Christ with a microphone, I hope the owner repairs the radio !!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment