WHAT YOU MAY FIND HERE

RANTS, RAVINGS and RUMINATIONS along with
RAUCOUS RIBALDRY and RAMBLING REFLECTIONS

Monday, February 27, 2012

LOUSY div ...

My last two week "pay period" of Driving4$$ was the worst I've had in four years.
At least the customers were (for the most part) pleasant  - - just clueless. I was stiffed four times, but I've only been treated like this a couple of times  - - and only once with the snark.

Worst one I can remember is the couple I picked up at BWI going to Dulles. $99 fare (flat rate, no gratuity included). Throughout the whole trip (60 miles) I was told about the wonderful four week vacation, how much it cost and how well his business (something to do with religion lawsuits and passing out bibles) in California was doing. Gave me a Benjamin and said "keep the change." I gave him back the buck and asked him to donate it to a charity. Another jerk berated and penalized me for the traffic on the beltway at rush hour (even though he and his wife arrived at the airport on time). Oh well, it takes all kinds.

People don't seem to understand our current economy. Pretty much everyone that works in a "service" industry (wait staff, busboys, cab drivers, pizza/food delivery) receive less than the legal minimum wage. I'm lucky in that my company's owner pays at the top of the scale, but my income still depends on the "kindness of others," based on the service I deliver  - - hustling the bags, holding doors, asking whether or not they've forgotten anything, driving smoothly and safely, offering tips on sight-seeing and restaurants (or just knowing when to shut up) and so on  - -  it really is an art and some of my brother and sister drivers are clueless also.

So, in response to Mr. Banker above, ..........well you know the words (and rude gestures).
I just wonder what he contributes to our soceity ??  (and yes, the tip was less than 1%).

No comments:

Post a Comment