WHAT YOU MAY FIND HERE

RANTS, RAVINGS and RUMINATIONS along with
RAUCOUS RIBALDRY and RAMBLING REFLECTIONS

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Shopping div

Went to the grocery store today. The Goose Girl has promised to make enchiladas and blueberry pie tomorrow. Tortillas and blueberries were on my mental list. (Three items or more get written down).
Great news !!! Blueberries were on sale. 6oz package of fresh berries 2pkg / $3 (another store had them for $2.89/pkg). Right there next to the berries were more berries in a larger package (18oz). Atop the package was a sticker saying "BuyBig, SaveBig"  - -  the price $5.99.

Now, what's wrong with this picture ??

I asked the store manager why the apparent disconnect in pricing ??

What I told him was simply this: 1) this is my neighborhood market; 2) I realize that the math and critical thinking skills of 50% of the population aren't the greatest in the world and that many people don't stop to think about unit pricing;  and 3) I don't like to think that our local supermarket is taking advantage of us.
Got a runaround about how the local store doesn't set pricing and lots of retail doublespeak. He said that he'd check tomorrow (fortunately for him, the sale ended today) and correct any discrepancies. Like Google sez, Don't be evil.

Years ago, I stopped at another local market one morning  to get some donuts. The sign above the pastry case said "Donuts: $.33 each, 3 / $1."  The cashier was adamant that my 3 donuts were going to cost me a dollar - I asked if she could please ring them separately.
Granted, it's a penny  - -  but pennies add up, and the cashier hadn't a clue.

No comments:

Post a Comment