WHAT YOU MAY FIND HERE

RANTS, RAVINGS and RUMINATIONS along with
RAUCOUS RIBALDRY and RAMBLING REFLECTIONS

Friday, March 9, 2012

MISSING YOU div

On this day last year, my Dad passed away  - -  peacefully, at home, at the age of 93. The years had taken a toll on his body, but thankfully, his mind was still active and agile. Dad always said that he'd had a good life (and several times commented that he was surprised he'd lived past 26).

He gave me so much; a sense of responsibility, the ability to think for myself, his love of driving (which he was still doing, even on the day of his death) and so many other things.

I know that there were things I did that disappointed him. I know that there were things I did that made him proud.

Over the years, though we grew apart philosophically and politically, the respect and the love for each other never waned.

My Dad was a true hero who cared for his wife and family. He showed us the beauty of our country (and I don't know how he endured all the "are we there yets").  He allowed my sister and I to make mistakes (and contribute to their correction) and despite our shortcomings or disappointments, never stopped loving us.
Whenever I think of him, this picture of him as a young Marine during the Guadalcanal campaign will always be the first to come to mind.

Every time I hold a steering wheel, he's sitting next to me (thankfully, without the machine gun).

So,
Thank you for the pictures  ... and the stories ... and the roads.
Thank you for the freedom when was time for me to go.
Thank you for your kindness, and the times when you got tough,
 ... and Papa, I don't think I said  I Love You near enough.

(thanks to the late Dan Fogelberg for letting me paraphrase his words - I can't think of a better way to express it)

No comments:

Post a Comment